A blog about the many neat things in life, along with the many other things that are lying around. Categories include: political things, philosophy things, design things, template things, garage things, music things, and lots and lots of other things!

Monday, June 26, 2006

Cubik Things

From the people at Buzzlife:
WASHINGTON, DC - On July 16th 2006, after a decade of Buzzlife events, Nation Nightclub will close its doors. The building will soon make way for development as the southeast waterfront is restructured in preparation for the recently approved baseball stadium.
Found that yesterday night. The Nation nightclub, one of my favorite places in the world, is closing to make way for a fucking baseball stadium.

The Nation was the first nightclub I ever went to - my sister took me to a VNV Nation concert there. Since then, it has been the club I go to, for their badass acts, wonderful atmosphere, and killer soundsystem. The friday-night techno party known as Cubik had some of my favorite DJ's ever - Pendulum, John B, Aphrodite, Dieselboy, AK1200, Hospital Records, Planet of the Drums - they really had everything there. Every friday night, some international superstar was spinning excellent music just 50 minutes from my home. The Prodigy, The Crystal Method, Paul Oakenfold (who I actually got to see!), John Digweed, and hundreds of other big-name DJ's have played here.

And now it's gone. For "redevelopment."

It wouldn't be so bad if I weren't going to miss the closing party too. Right now the lineup for the closing party is one of the most amazing I've ever seen. Micro, Craze, Charles Feelgood, DB, MC Armani, Scott Henry (who I got a picture with some time back)... it's going to be the party of the year. I'll be at Ikasucon - but even if I weren't, there would be no way to make it.

I feel like I'm losing part of myself. The amount of fun I've had there is indescribable, and to see the best club in the country go down for some crappy-ass redneck baseball project is very disheartening.

So, to the Nation, I bid you a fond farewell. And to Buzzlife, I wish good luck in finding a new venue. I'm gonna try and hit the club just one more time before it closes, and hopefully wherever Buzzlife relocates, I'll be there, too.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home