A blog about the many neat things in life, along with the many other things that are lying around. Categories include: political things, philosophy things, design things, template things, garage things, music things, and lots and lots of other things!

Friday, May 12, 2006

Washington Blade Online

Washington Blade Online:
"The Democratic Party platform from 2004 says marriage is between a man and a woman," Dean said May 10 during a "700 Club" program hosted by conservative Christian leader Pat Robertson on his Christian Broadcasting Network.


So it's official: now only the special interest groups (HRC, NGLTF, GLAAD) actually give a shit about gay rights. The democrats officially do not care, as detailed by Terrance. And I used to wonder how people couldn't see a difference between democrats and republicans.

Gay marraige could have been a winner for democrats. 60-some percent of the US population believes in some form of equality for gay people (even though that includes people who are against gay marraige, but for civil unions). All the democrats had to do is send a clear message: we are against legislating gays and lesbians as second-class citizens. They didn't even have to fight for gay marraige, as much as I and my brothers in the Big Gay Conspiracy would love for them to.

And yet, by constantly running away from debates about gay rights, by trying to play both sides, by trying to avoid it as much as possible, the Dems have given the gay marraige debate to the Republicans. This is not the way to win. This is the way to look like a bunch of scared, poll-pandering flip-floppers who will sell out anyone to get a few votes. Nice going, Dean. How're those astroturf-roots working out?

I swore if the Federal Marraige Amendment ever passed, I would move to Canada. Now I'm thinking that might be the way to go anyhow. When my minority has absolutely zero representation on Capitol Hill, and tentacles of the government all across the continent are legislating against me and my kind, I just don't see how I'm supposed to stay in a country that clearly would rather not have me.

Update: Big Gay Picture has a good take on all this. Reccomended reading.

Technorati tags: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bleh.. yeah. The last year or so has seen me become totally disenchanted with the Democrats. I firmly believe that the two party system is just totally corrupt at this point. There are a FEW good Dems in Washington, but a few cannot pass legislation.

When there's a 100% chance that either Party A or B will win then both Party A and B will inevitably become 100% corrupt and complacent.

Proportional representation (real democracy) must come to America so that we all may truly have a voice. ALL money must be eliminated from politics. No donations to candidates from any business or any person. All campagins should be publically financed.

Nothing will EVER change though since the only people who can change them are the politicans who are made wealthy by their corruption. Only an actual revolution could affect change here and I just don't see it happening.. not sure I'd want to.

So yah... I'm bummed and depressed and just pissed off with politics here anymore..

5/12/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, it is depressing. It just seems that we are barely holding ground these days. If Mass fails then I can forsee all the work done for Gay rights in the past decade being completely undone.

Canada? Eh, I may flee if things keep getting worse here.

5/13/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home