A blog about the many neat things in life, along with the many other things that are lying around. Categories include: political things, philosophy things, design things, template things, garage things, music things, and lots and lots of other things!

Friday, February 24, 2006

Newfangled Radio

When I'm at work, I need music. It helps keep me from going crazy while coding, doing photoshop, or whatever it is I do around here. I can't bring too many scads of the stuff with me - I have a 512MB thumb drive, a 512MB PSP, and a 256MB SD card in my Treo (which unfortunately, I cannot attach headphones to at the moment). Even with all that, it's only a tiny portion of my 11+ days of music on iTunes. And even more so, listening to music for 3-5 hours a day would run through my much smaller collection of "stuff I listen to often" very quickly.

So, internet radio. I use Portable Winamp 5.1, since I can't install programs onto the self-cleaning builds we use at my office. It has the standard winamp list of crazy radio stations from Shoutcast, Yahoo! and AOL. I thought, since I'm in the business of reccomending places for free music, that posting endorsements for my radio stations would be a good idea. So, here goes.
  • Secret Agent - The soundtrack for your stylish, mysterious, dangerous life. As far as I know "spy music" isn't a genre, but what is? They rock it with some chill downtempo, house, jazz, and lounge music. I just heard one of my fav. Thievery Corporation songs, so you know it's good.
  • Masters of Hardcore - on the totally opposite end of the spectrum, this Swedish station throws out tunes designed to bust some eardrums. Great to listen to when on a roll.
  • Bassdrive - my favorite Drum & Bass channel. They play a good mix of stylish, jungle, and dark themes. I never hear any tunes from my collection - they usually play the newest and freshest d&b beats.
  • Digitally Imported - a collection of about 20 radio stations of any concievable genre, these guys have quality.


I also heartily reccomend pulling up the list built into your favorite media player and just clicking around. See what pops up! Life can be full of happy surprises.

Cheers!

Technorati Tags: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home